A recent enquiry from a lady keen to become a copywriter, but without any previous examples of her efforts to show, prompted me to bash down these 5 questions for wannabe copywriters, and send them to her to have a go at.
I found I could tell quite a lot from her responses. If you’re a beginner, you might like to give them 5 minutes.
1) Write a classified newspaper advertisement of not more than 30 words, which you might place in a national newspaper business section seeking any job that would help you begin a career as a copywriter.
2) Write the text (max 80 words plus headline) which the Commercial Development Agency of the town or city in which you live should use on the homepage of their website to give overseas visitors the feeling that the location is a vibrant commercial centre.
3) Give 4 qualities that might make one model of cooker extraction hood better than another.
4) What do you think might be the most important factor in selling the same premium fragrance:
i) in an expensive department store;
ii) in an airport;
5) List 4 factors to consider when naming a pet dog
If you want to post you answers as Comments, feel free!